Tyner / Tiner Families
Descendants of Dr. Lewis W. Tyner
Generation No. 1
1. Dr. Lewis W.1 Tyner was born 12 Feb 1806 in South Carolina1,2,3, and died Abt. 1878 in Neshoba Co, MS4. He married Sarah5. She was born 21 Apr 1813 in Henderson Co, TN6,7,8,9, and died 02 Mar 1902 in Neshoba Co, MS10. They are buried in Mt. Zion Methodist Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.
1850 Leake Co, MS Census, Beat 3, p. 42, #548-611, Farmer
Children of Lewis Tyner and Sarah are:
+ 2 i. James W.2 Tiner, born Abt. 1831 in Tennessee.
3 ii. Lewis W. Tyner, born 28 Jan 183610,11; died 18 Aug 1864 in Neshoba Co, MS12.
4 iii. Sarah C. Tyner, born Abt. 1838 in Tennessee13.
+ 5 iv. John Polk Tyner, born 24 Sep 1844 in Mississippi; died 15 Nov 1923 in Probably Leake Co, MS.
6 v. Thomas Perry Tyner, born Apr 1847 in Mississippi14,15,16,17,18; died 1928 in Mississippi19. He married Maggie E. Abt. 188720; born Jan 1869 in Kentucky20,21; died 195222. They are buried in Mt. Zion UMC Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS. They both appear to have died without issue, which could explain why their tombstone birth dates both appear to be in error.
1880 - Living in the Neshoba Co, MS household of his mother,
+ 7 vi. George W. Tyner, born Abt. 1849 in Leake Co, MS.
+ 8 vii. Nancy Penelope Tyner, born Dec 1851 in Mississippi.
9 viii. Jesse M. Tyner, born 03 Jun 185423,24; died 06 Jul 1861 in Neshoba Co, MS24.
10 ix. Green M. Rogers Tyner, born 03 Apr 185625,26; died 06 Jul 1861 in Neshoba Co, MS26.
Generation No. 2
2. James W.2 Tiner (Lewis W.1 Tyner, Dr.) was born Abt. 1831 in Tennessee27,28. He married Martha Boler, daughter of Wesley Boler and Eliza Walton. She was born 11 Jan 1837 in Newton Co, MS30,31,32. Further information regarding Martha Boler Tiner would be greatly appreciated. The specific information desired includes her place of residence following the 1880 census and the location of her death and burial. James W. Tiner disappears from the face of the earth following the 1860 census. What happened to him? Did he die or leave the Union, MS area? If he moved his family out of the area, why did Martha and the children return?
1860 Neshoba Co, MS Census, High Hill PO, #808-835
Children of James W. Tiner and Martha Boler are:
+ 11 i. Rufus Theadore3 Tiner, born 13 Jun 1855 in Neshoba Co, MS; died 23 Jul 1920 in McAlester, Pittsburg Co, OK.
12 ii. Theophilus T. Tiner, born Abt. 1857 in Mississippi33.
13 iii. Mary Tiner, born Abt. 186334.
14 iv. Francis I. Tiner, born Abt. 186634. She married George Ozborn 29 Mar 1883 in Newton Co, MS35.
15 v. Millie Ann Tiner, born Abt. 186836.
+ 16 vi. Addie Tiner, born Jul 1872 in Mississippi.
5. John Polk2 Tyner (Lewis W.1)37 was born 24 Sep 1844 in Mississippi38,39,40,41, and died 15 Nov 1923 in Probably Leake Co, MS42. He married Effie Ann McDonald43 Abt. 186444,45,46, daughter of Murdock McDonald and Rebecca Henderson. She was born 20 Jun 1846 in South Carolina47,48,49, and died 19 Jan 1915 in Neshoba Co, MS50. They are buried at Mt. Zion Methodist Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.
1870 Neshoba Co, MS Census #1199-1199, Beat 4, p. 369
Private, 33rd Mississippi, Co A, CSA
Children of John Polk Tyner and Effie McDonald are:
17 i. Ida D.3 Tyner, born Abt. 186551.
+ 18 ii. Margaret R. Tyner, born 13 Apr 1867 in Mississippi; died 09 Aug 1965.
19 iii. William J. Tyner, born 10 Apr 187252; died 23 Dec 1909 in Neshoba Co, MS52. He married Virginia Barrett53; born 187154; died 195054.
20 iv. John P. Tyner, born Abt. 187555.
21 v. Andrew J. Tyner, born Abt. 187755.
22 vi. Thomas H. Tyner, born Mar 188055.
23 vii. Luther Tyner, born Mar 188456. He married Martha Susan Jane Clark.
+ 24 viii. Walter Louis Tyner, born 03 Dec 1886 in Beech Springs, Neshoba Co, MS; died 03 Jan 1964 in Neshoba Co, MS.
25 ix. Wesly A. Tyner, born 25 Jul 1888 in Neshoba Co, MS57.
7. George W.2 Tyner (Lewis W.1) was born Abt. 1849 in Leake Co, MS58,59,60. He married Mary K. Wallace 29 Nov 1875 in Newton Co, MS61. She was born Abt. 1857 in Mississippi62.
1880 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, p. 13, Supv Dist 2, ED 60, #96-96
Child of George Tyner and Mary Wallace is:
26 i. Sarah E.3 Tiner, born Abt. 187962.
8. Nancy Penelope2 Tyner (Lewis W.1) was born Dec 1851 in Mississippi63,64. She married Christopher Newton Hudson Abt. 187664, son of William Hudson and Louisa Jones. He was born 01 Apr 1854 in Mississippi65,66, and died 31 Mar 190667. He is buried in Mt. Zion Methodist Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.
1880 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, p. 13, Supv Dist 2, ED 60, #96-96
Children of Nancy Tyner and Christopher Hudson are:
27 i. S. J.3 Hudson, born 28 Jul 187967; died 01 Dec 188267.
28 ii. Walter Hudson, born Feb 188268.
29 iii. Thomas Hudson, born May 188568.
Generation No. 3
11. Rufus Theadore3 Tiner (James W.2, Dr. Lewis W.1 Tyner) was born 13 Jun 1855 in Neshoba Co, MS69,70,71,72, and died 23 Jul 1920 in McAlester, Pittsburg Co, OK73. He married (1) Betty Pace; (2) Georgia Carolina Mooney 17 Apr 1904 in Holmes Co, MS74,75, daughter of James E. Mooney and Martha Elizabeth Gray. She was born Jun 1881 in Mississippi76,77,78.
1910 Holmes Co, MS Census, Beat 1, District 41, Sheet 18b, #14-15
Children of Rufus Theadore Tiner and Betty Pace are:
2 i. Joseph Gipson2 Tiner, born 17 May 1892 in Tchula, Holmes Co, MS79, 80, 128; died 1929 in McAlester, OK81. He married Ida Holloway; born Abt. 1902 in Oklahoma82.
3 ii. Victor Rhineheart Tiner, born 29 Nov 1895 in Sidon, Leflore Co, MS83, 84, 128.
4 iii. William Henry Tiner, born 22 Jan 1899 in Thornton, Holmes Co, MS85, 86, 128; died Jan 1974 in Long Beach, Los Angeles Co, CA129.
Children of Rufus Theadore Tiner and Georgia Caroline Mooney are:
33 i. Mattie4 Tiner, born Abt. 1906 in Mississippi87,88.
34 ii. Robert Tiner, born Abt. 1908 in Mississippi89,90.
14. Francis Ida3 Tiner (James W.2, Dr. Lewis W.1 Tyner) was born Feb 1867 in Mississippi. She married George C. Ozborn 29 Mar 1883 in Newton Co, MS, son of Francis Marion Ozborn and Penelope Ross. He was born Jan 1861 in Mississippi.
1900 Leflore Co, MS Census, Beat 5, ED 58, Supv Dist 4, Sheet 6, #138-143,
Children of Francis Ida Tiner and George C. Ozborn are:
35 i. Mack M.4 Ozborn, born Aug 1890 in Mississippi.
36 ii. Jones W. Ozborn, born Jul 1893 in Mississippi; died Bef. 1910.
37 iii. Fisher P. Ozborn, born Nov 1895 in Mississippi.
38 iv. Ida V. Ozborn, born Jan 1898 in Mississippi.
39 v. Cooper Ozborn, born Abt. 1903 in Texas.
40 vi. Beulah M. Ozborn, born Abt. 1905 in Texas.
16. Addie3 Tiner (James W.2, Lewis W.1 Tyner, Dr.) was born Jul 1872 in Mississippi91,92 and died about 1912 in Holmes Co, MS. She married William H. Mooney Abt. 189192, son of James Mooney and Annie. He was born September 13, 1871 in Mississippi93,94.
1900 Holmes Co, MS Census, Beat 1, p. 61, Supv Dist 4, Sheet 13a, #239-239, Farmer
Children of Addie Tiner and William H. Mooney are:
35 i. Mary4 Mooney, born Jul 1892 in Mississippi94.
36 ii. Annie Mooney, born Oct 1893 in Mississippi94.
37 iii. Lillie Mooney, born Sep 1896 in Mississippi94.
38 iv. Willie Mooney, born Jun 1898 in Mississippi94.
39 v. Walter Mooney, born Jan 1900 in Mississippi; died Bef. 1910 in Holmes Co, MS.
40 vi. Fannie A. Mooney, born Abt. 1901 in Mississippi
41 vii. Nettie G. Mooney, born Abt. 1903 in Mississippi.
42 viii. Charlie Mooney, born Abt. 1908 in Mississippi.
43 ix. Lightfoot Mooney, born Abt. 1910 in Mississippi.
18. Margaret R.3 Tyner (John Polk2, Dr. Lewis W.1) was born 13 Apr 1867 in Mississippi95,96, and died 09 Aug 196596. She married Simeon A. Ozborn 1887 in Neshoba Co, MS. He was the son of Francis Marion Ozborn and Penelope Ross. He was born 14 Nov 1861 in Mississippi98, and died 12 Jan 195598. They are buried in Mt. Zion Methodist Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.
1900 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, Supv District 5, ED 44, #99-99
Children of Margaret Tyner and Simeon Ozborn are:
40 i. Frank4 Ozborn, born 11 Aug 188999; died 11 Apr 189099.
41 ii. Josie Ozborn, born May 1891 in Mississippi100.
42 iii. Gertrude Ozborn, born 24 Oct 1892 in Missisiippi101,102; died 05 Mar 1989103. She married Eugene Driskell; born 11 Aug 1886 in Mississippi104,105; died 07 Dec 1973105.
43 iv. Claude Ozborn, born Aug 1896 in Union, MS106,107; died 02 Apr 1977 in Union, MS108. He married Neva Evans.
44 v. Cline Ozborn, born Jan 1899 in Mississippi109,110.
45 vi. Clarence Ozborn, born Abt. 1902 in Mississippi110.
46 vii. Mack Ozborn, born Abt. 1905 in Mississippi110.
47 viii. James E. Ozborn, born Abt. 1907 in Mississippi110.
48 ix. Baddis Ozborn, born Abt. 1908 in Mississippi110.
24. Walter Louis3 Tyner (John Polk2, Lewis W.1)111 was born 03 Dec 1886 in Beech Springs, Neshoba Co, MS112,113,114, and died 03 Jan 1964 in Neshoba Co, MS115. He married Mary Jane Crenshaw 13 Dec 1911 in Union, MS116, daughter of Mentice Dominico Crenshaw and Lillie Houston. She was born 26 Dec 1889 in Neshoba County, MS117,118, and died 21 Sep 1967 in Neshoba Co, MS119. They are buried in Mt. Zion Methodist Church Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.
1920 Leake Co, MS Census, Beat 5, p. 248, Walnut Grove, Supv Dist 5, ED 27,
Children of Walter Louis Tyner and Mary Jane Crenshaw are:
49 i. Gussie Omelda4 Tyner, born 07 Feb 1914 in Neshoba County, MS120,121; died 09 Nov 2001 in Mobile, AL122. She married William Kay Smith 20 Apr 1940 in Walnut Grove, MS123; born 05 Jul 1911 in Newton Co, MS123; died 22 Apr 1987 in Mobile, AL123.
50 ii. Walter Louis Tyner, Jr., born 22 Nov 1919 in Beech Springs, MS123,124,124,125; died 03 Oct 1999 in Mobile, AL126.
51 iii. Mary Edna Tyner
1. Tombstone, Mt. Zion Cemetery, Neshoba Co, MS.
Descendants of Unknown Tiner
Generation No. 1
1. Unknown1 Tiner was born in Alabama, and died before 1870. He married Sarah J. She was born 1824 - 1827 in Alabama1,2. This is a very puzzling family. The head of household was obviously deceased by 1870 when Sarah J is listed as a head of household in Newton Co, MS, enumerated next door to William Rutledge (born TN). Close neighbors are also the Rev. John C. Walton family. Descendants of Dr. Lewis W. Tyner indicate his wife Sarah to be a Rutledge. Could this Sarah Tiner be the Rutledge instead? Further information on this family would be greatly appreciated.
1870 Newton Co, MS Census, Township 8, Range 10, p 490, #29-29
Children of Unknown Tiner and Sarah J. are:
Generation No. 2
2. James R.2 Tiner (Unknown1) was born Bet. 1849 - 1850 in Alabama5,6. He married M. Sarah Abt. 1870 in Mississippi7. She was born 1852 - 1853 in Georgia7,8.
1880 Limestone Co, TX Census, District 96, p 429D
Children of James Tiner and M. Sarah are:
1. 1870 Newton Co, MS Census.
05/24/2006 02:26:07 PM