Were Nicholas Ruppel and Carl Ruppel, both from Hessen and Baltimore, MD, related? Further information or correspondence with family members would be greatly appreciated.
Pictured: Children of Nicholas Ruppel and Maria Christiana Reisinger. Photo courtesy of Dorothy Ruppel Schleupner. Standing left to right: John Frederick Ruppel, Molllie Ruppel Sterzer, John George Ruppel. Seated: Elizabeth Ruppel Wehrenberg.
Signature of Jeremias Dietrich Ruppel of Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt from the 1840 marriage record of his son Carl Conrad Ruppel.
Breaking News - The location of Nicholas Ruppel's birth (Hopfgarten, Hessen) has been located in the Second German Evangelical Lutheran Church record of the birth of one of his children. That town is very close to Alsfeld, where Carl Ruppel was born. Some, but not all, family burials are in the same Baltimore Cemetery. The plot thickens!!!!
Descendants of Nicholas Ruppel
Generation No. 1
1. Nicholaus1 Ruppel was born July 29, 1822 in Hopfgarten, Hessen, and died 04 Jan 1894 in Baltimore, Baltimore Co, MD. He married Maria Christiana Reisinger Abt. 1856, daughter of Johann George Philipp Reisinger and Marianne C. Beilstein. She was born 16 Mar 1833 in Wembach, Hessen-Darmstadt, and died 29 Aug 1893 in Baltimore, Baltimore Co, MD. Both are buried in St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery, Druid Hill Park, Baltimore, MD.
1860 Baltimore Co, MD Census, 3rd Ward, p. 637,
#146-203, Carpet Weaver
Obituary: The SUN, Baltimore Saturday Morning, January 6,1894
RUPPEL -- Fell asleep in Jesus at 6:30 o'clock P. M. on Thursday, January 4,at his late residence 252 South Bond Street. J. Nicholas Ruppel aged 71 years. (Washington,DC) and Pittsburgh (Pa.) papers please copy. Funeral services will take place on Sunday at 2 P. M.
Children of Nicholaus Ruppel and Maria Reisinger are:
+ 2 i. Elizabeth "Lizzie" Marie2 Ruppel, born 13 Sep 1857 in Baltimore, MD; died 08 Jul 1926 in York, PA. She married Wilhelm Heinrich Conrad Wehrenberg. Both are buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, PA.
3 ii. John Ruppel, born Abt. 1860 in Baltimore, Baltimore Co, MD.
+ 4 iii. Mollie Ruppel, born June 1866 in Baltimore, MD. She married Carl Sterzer.
+ 5 iv. John George Ruppel, born Abt. 1869 in Maryland.
+ 6 v. John Frederick Ruppel was born September 28, 1871 in Baltimore, Maryland and died May 13, 1953 in Lutheran Hospital, Baltimore, MD. He married Elizabeth Fiddler September 18, 1899 in Frederick, MD. She was born June 3, 1873 in Baltimore, MD and died April 14, 1944 in Baltimore, MD. They are buried in Lorraine Cemetery.
Generation No. 2
2. Elizabeth "Lizzie" Marie2 Ruppel (Nicholaus1) was born 13 Sep 1857 in Baltimore, Baltimore Co, MD, and died 08 Jul 1926 in York, PA. She married Wilhelm Heinrich Conrad Wehrenberg Bet. 1881 - 1882. He was born 24 December 1854 in Sarninghausen am Stolzenau, Hanover, and died 26 Aug 1898 in York, PA. Both are buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, PA.
Pictured Left to Right: Daughters of Elizabeth Ruppel and Wilhelm Wehrenberg: Eleonore Wehrenberg, Charlotte Wehrenberg; granddaughters of Elizabeth Ruppel and Wilhelm Wehrenberg (daughters of Marie Wehrenberg & Wilhelm Heinemeyer): Ruth Heinemeyer, Loeda Heinemeyer: . Photo courtesy of Dorothy Eleonore Ruppel Schleupner
1900 York Co, PA Census, York City, 9th Ward, 441 West King Street, #62-63,
Supv Dist 8, ED 197, Sheet 3B
Children of Elizabeth Ruppel and Wilhelm Wehrenberg are:
7 i. Marie Auguste Caroline3 Wehrenberg, born 24 Mar 1883; died 07 Jan 1942 in Spry, PA. She married Wilhelm Casper Heinemeyer.
Death Near Spry of Mrs. Heinemeyer. Spry. Jan 7 1942 -- Mrs. Marie A. Heinemeyer, wife of William C. Heinemeyer, near here, died this morning at 6 o'clock at her home from complications of diseases after a long illness. She was 58 years old. Surviving besides her husband are Two daughters, Ruth and Loeda Heinemeyer, both at home; a brother, Fred J. Wehrenberg, 928 East Poplar street, York, and two sisters, Charlotte and Eleanore Wehrenberg both of 410 West Philadelphia street, York. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 p. m. from the home. Rev. Edward Kraus, pastor of St. John's Lutheran church, York, of which the deceased was a member, will officiate. Interment will be in Mt. Rose cemetery. The funeral is in charge of Funeral Director Purd A. Riedel Dallastown.
8 ii. Charlotte Ann Elizabeth Wehrenberg, born 12 Jun 1884 in Pennsylvania.
9 iii. Amelia Elizabeth Wilhelmine Wehrenberg, born 07 Feb 1886 in Pennsylvania; died 11 May 1920 in York, PA.
Amalie E. W. Wehrenberg. May 15, 1920, Funeral services over
the body of Amelia E. W. Wehrenberg, who died last Tuesday at
the home of her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Wehrenberg, 451 West King
street, were held yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock at that
address. Rev. Paul H. Huccop, pastor of St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran church, was the officiating clergyman. Interment was
made in Prospect Hill cemetery. The pallbearers were: George
Waltman, Frederick Appla, Daniel Neltz and Harry I. McNeal,
representing the York Telephone company's employees.
10 iv. Frederick Johann Wilhelm Wehrenberg, born 19 Dec 1887 in Pennsylvania. He married Mayme Estelle Fuhrman 1916 in York, PA.
Wehrenberg-Fuhrman, July 1, 1916. The marriage of Frederick J. W. Wehrenberg, formerly of this city, who now resides in Waynesboro, and Miss Mayme Estelle Fuhrman, daughter of Calvin E. Fuhrman, 625 Cleveland avenue, was solemnized Thursday evening at 6 o'clock in St. John's Evangelical Lutheran church, West King street. Rev. Dr. H. H. Walker, pastor of the church, officiating. The ring ceremony was used. Prior to the ceremony Prof. Carl Trettin, the church organist, gave an organ recital. As the bridal party entered the church the wedding march from Lohengrin was played, and during the ceremony "Traumerel" from Schuman was softly rendered by the organist. As a recessional the wedding march by Mendelssohn was played. The best man was a brother of the bridegroom, William Wehrenberg, while the bridesmaid was Misss Hattie Latterman. The ushers were Frederick Hespenheide and Carl Oermann. The floral decorations in the church and at the home of the bride, where the reception was given after the ceremony, were very attractive. Mr. Wehrenberg is at present general manager of a five and ten cent store at Waynesboro. he was formerly connected with a local store of this type, also with a clothing store here. He is the son of Mrs. Elizabeth Wehrenberg, 41 West King street. Following the reception the couple left on a honeymoon trip to Baltimore and Washington. After July 10 they will be at home to their friends in their newly furnished apartments, 48 Main street, Waynesboro.
11 v. Eleonore Henrietta Wehrenberg, born 17 Dec 1889 in Pennsylvania; died 1963.
12 vi. George Friedrich Carl Wehrenberg, born 17 Feb 1892; died 26 Dec 1898.
13 vii. William Julius Wehrenberg, born Mar 1894 in Maryland; died 08 Dec 1929 in Harrisburg, PA. He married Maude Gertrude Gilbert 14 Dec 1920 in Harrisburg, PA; born in Harrisburg, PA.
Bring Home Bride From Harrisburg (December 16, 1920) --
William J. Wehrenberg, son of Mrs. Elizabeth Wehrenberg, 451
West King street and Miss Maude G. Gilbert, daughter of Mrs.
Minnie Gilbert of Harrisburg were married Tuesday evening in
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran church, Harrisburg, by the pastor,
Rev. E. H. Parr. Mr. Wehrenberg, who is a graduate of the 1912
class of the York High school, is employed by John E. Graybill
and company, as an electrician. Mr. and Mrs. Wehrenberg, who are
spending a short wedding trip in West Virginia, will live for
the present at the bridegroom's home in this city.
4. Mollie2 Ruppel (Nicholaus1) was born June 1866 in Baltimore, MD. She married Carl Sterzer.
Pictured Right: Mollie Ruppel Sterzer. Photo courtesy of Dorothy Eleonore Ruppel Schleupner
Children of Mollie Ruppel and Carl Sterzer are:
14 i. Carl3 Sterzer born September 1888 in Washington, DC.
15 ii. Henry Sterzer born September 1891 in Washington, DC.
5. John George2 Ruppel (Nicholaus1) was born Abt. 1869 in Maryland. He married Maggie.
Pictured Left: John George Ruppel and his wife Maggie, June 12, 1934. Photo courtesy of Dorothy Eleonore Ruppel Schleupner
Children of John Ruppel and Maggie are:
+ 16 i. John Fred3 Ruppel.
17 ii. Amalia Ruppel. She married Paul Klaesius.
18 iii. Ester Ruppel. She married Unknown Krote.
6. John Frederick2 Ruppel (Nicholaus1) was born September 28, 1871 in Baltimore, Maryland. He died May 13, 1953 in Lutheran Hospital, Baltimore, MD. He married Elizabeth Fiddler on September 18, 1899 in Frederick, MD. She was born June 3, 1873 in Baltimore, MD and died April 14, 1944. Both are buried in Lorraine Cemetery.
Children of John Frederick Ruppel and Elizabeth Fiddler are:
19 i. Mildred3 Ruppel born 29 July 1901 died 1939. She married Elmer Pyfer.
20 ii. Phiilip A. Ruppel born 4 July 1903 died 25 October 1955. He married Grace Zile.
21 iii. Alvin George Ruppel was born September 28, 1913 in Baltimore, MD and died December 28, 1961. He married Dorothy Caroline Frances Balla on June 19, 1940 in Immanuel Reformed Lutheran Church in Baltimore, MD. She was born July 26, 1916 in Baltimore, MD and died April 4, 1979. They are buried in Lorraine Park Cemetery.
Descendants of Johann Heinrich Ruppel
Generation No. 1
1. Johann Heinrich1 Ruppel He married Anna Dorthea Hermann.
Child of Johann Ruppel and Anna Hermann is:
+ 2 i. Johann Hartmuth2 Ruppel, born 04 Jul 1754 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt; died 10 Feb 1836 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt.
Generation No. 2
2. Johann Hartmuth2 Ruppel (Johann Heinrich1) was born 04 Jul 1754 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1, and died 10 Feb 1836 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1. He married Anna Christina Heidelbach 03 Jul 1781 in Alsfeld, Hessen Darmstadt1. She died 01 Jan 1820 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1.
Children of Johann Ruppel and Anna Heidelbach are:
3 i. Anna Dorthea3 Ruppel, born 04 Jun 1782 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1.
+ 4 ii. Jeremias Dietrich Ruppel, born 23 Nov 1785 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt; died 02 Aug 1841 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt.
5 iii. Johann Heinrich Ruppel, born 25 Mar 1790 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1.
6 iv. Johann Caspar Ruppel, born 20 Jan 1793 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1.
Generation No. 3
4. Jeremias Dietrich3 Ruppel (Johann Hartmuth2, Johann Heinrich1) was born 23 Nov 1785 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1, and died 02 Aug 1841 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1. He married Cattarina Elisabetha Waldeck 14 Mar 1813 in Alsfeld, Hessen Darmstadt1, daughter of Johann Waldeck and Anna Ploch. She was born 03 Oct 1785 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1, and died 17 Dec 18591. (Pictured below: Jeremias Dietrich Ruppel's signature on the 1840 marriage record of his son Carl Conrad Ruppel.)
Children of Jeremias Dietrich Ruppel and Cattarina Elisabetha Waldeck are:
+ 7 i. Karl Konrad4 Ruppel, born 27 Jan 1814 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt.
8 ii. Georg Eberhard Ruppel, born 15 Aug 1816 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1; died 02 Jun 18631.
9 iii. Margaretha Elisabetha Ruppel, born 02 Mar 1819 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1; died 07 May 1819 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1.
10 iv. Konrad Ruppel, born 11 Sep 1820 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt1.
11 v. Margaretha Elisabetha Ruppel, born 06 Jul 1823 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt; died 28 Feb 18281.
Generation No. 4
7. Karl Konrad4 Ruppel (Jeremias Dietrich3, Johann Hartmuth2, Johann Heinrich1) was born 27 Jan 1814 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt2,3. He married Regina Hill 25 Nov 1840 in Alsfeld, Hessen Darmstadt4, daughter of Gottfried Hill and Cattarina Knauch. She was born Abt. 1815 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt4. (Pictured Below: Karl Konrad Ruppel's signature from the 1842 birth record of his son Carl Caspar Ruppel.)
Evangelische Kirche Alsfeld
Children of Carl Conrad Ruppel and Regina Hill are:
12 i. Georg Eberhard5 Ruppel, born 1841 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt4.
+ 13 ii. Carl Caspar Ruppel, born 10 Dec 1842 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt; died 12 Dec 1917 in Baltimore, MD.
14 iii. Catharina Elisabetha Ruppel, born 1844 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt4.
Generation No. 5
13. Carl Caspar5 Ruppel (Karl Konrad4, Jeremias Dietrich3, Johann Hartmuth2, Johann Heinrich1) was born 10 Dec 1842 in Alsfeld, Hessen-Darmstadt5,6,7,8,9, and died 12 Dec 1917 in Baltimore, MD10,11. He married Selma Emelia Vogel Abt. 186512, daughter of William Vogel and Amelia. She was born 24 Aug 1844 in Saxony, Germany13,14,15, and died 10 Aug 1918 in Baltimore, MD16. Both are buried in Loudon Park Cemetery, Baltimore, MD.
Evangelische Kirche Alsfeld
1860 Baltimore Co, MD Census, Baltimore, Ward 13, p. 449,
Segar Maker, Living in household of Justice Nass, #2718-3485
Children of Carl Ruppel and Selma Vogel are:
15 i. Infant6 Ruppel, born 01 Jan 1868 in Baltimore, Baltimore Co, MD17; died 01 Jan 1868 in Baltimore, Baltimore Co, MD17.
+ 16 ii. Cornelia E. Q. Ruppel, born 17 Nov 1869 in Baltimore, MD; died 05 Sep 1901 in Baltimore, MD.
Generation No. 6
16. Cornelia E. Q.6 Ruppel (Carl Caspar5, Karl Konrad4, Jeremias Dietrich3, Johann Hartmuth2, Johann Heinrich1) was born 17 Nov 1869 in Baltimore, MD18,19,20, and died 05 Sep 1901 in Baltimore, MD21,22. She married Henry S. Rippel Abt. 1888 in Prob. Baltimore, MD23, son of Conrad Rippel and Anna Toepher. He was born 05 Mar 1863 in Baltimore, MD24,25,26,27, and died 1938 in Baltimore, MD28. Both are buried in Loudon Park Cemetery, Baltimore, MD.
1900 Baltimore Co, MD Census, 1929 Baltimore St, Vol 21 ED
250, Sheet 2, Line 65
Children of Cornelia Ruppel and Henry S. Rippel are:
17 i. Leona A.7 Rippel, born Feb 1890 in Baltimore, MD29,30.
18 ii. Melita E. Rippel, born Oct 1892 in Baltimore, MD31,32.
19 iii. Henry Charles Rippel, born Jan 1894 in Baltimore, MD33,34,35,36. He married Bertha Marie Becker; born Bet. 1897 - 1898 in Baltimore, MD37,38.
1. IGI File #537196.
07/18/2011 02:16:11 PM