Descendants of Stephen Cole
Generation No. 1
1. Stephen1 Cole was born Abt. 1798 in North Carolina1,2,3,4, and died Aft. 20 Nov 1855 in Richmond Co, NC5. He married Unknown. She was born Bet. 1795 - 1800 in Maryland6,7,8, and died Bet. 1840 - 18509,10.
1820 Richmond Co, NC Census, p. 198
State of North Carolina, Richmond County Superior Court. A Petition for Settlement. The petition of Richmond Cole, Executor of the last will and testament of Stephen Cole, deceased against George Cole, Mark Cole, Calvin Cole, Hiram Cole, the heirs at law of Stephen Cole, deceased, whose names are not known and who reside beyond the limits of this State, James C. Yates & wife Mary, Pleasant Ratliff & wife Martha, Amos R. Smith and wife Anne. (1) Your petitioner shows that he qualified as executor of Stephen Cole at April Term 1866 of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions for the County of Richmond. (2) He further shows that the defendants above named are children of Stephen Cole, decd and are entitled to devises and bequests made in the last will and testament of their said father, Stephen Cole, deceased, his testator. (3) your petitioner shows that he has paid the debts due from his testator so far as came to his knowledge, where said indebtedness was just and proper to be paid. he further shows that he has filed his final account for settlement in the Court of Probate for the County of Richmond as the law directs. he prays that a final account and settlement be had with him as executor of said Stephen Cole which has been committed to his charge to the end that a final decree may be made in the premises. (4) Your petitioner shows that property disposed of in the will of his testator consisted principally of negroes and lands and that the negroes were emancipated before the death of the testator, Stephen Cole. Furthermore, that he has now on hand some personal property bequeathed to himself. (5) Your petitioner shows that Calvin Cole resides in the State of Mississippi as also does Hiram Cole, the heirs at law of Stephen Cole, decd whose names are unknown to your petitioner. that Ann Smith who married Amos R. Smith resides beyond the limits of the State of North Carolina, that Mary Yates and husband James C. Yates, and Martha who married Pleasant Ratliff reside in Anson County. That George Cole and Mark Cole reside in the County of Richmond. Your petitioner prays that a notice together with a copy of this petition be served on George Cole, Mark Cole, James C. Yates and wife Mary, Pleasant Ratliff and wife Martha, who reside in Anson County and that publication be made for Calvin Cole, ...this state for 6 weeks notifying them to appear at the Court house in Rockingham on the 12th Mon. after the 2nd Mon. in Aug 1870 and show cause, etc. and your petitioner will ever pray. N. A. McLean pro Pct.
Children of Stephen Cole and Unknown are:
+ 2 i. George2 Cole, born Abt. 1815 in North Carolina.
3 ii. Mary Cole, born Abt. 1817. She married James C. Yates.
4 iii. Mark Cole, born Abt. 1822 in Richmond Co, NC11. He married Margaret; born Abt. 1834 in North Carolina11.
5 iv. Ann Cole, born Abt. 1825. She married Amos R. Smith.
+ 6 v. Calvin C. Cole, born 01 Sep 1826 in Rockingham, Richmond Co, NC; died 08 May 1886 in Prob. Kemper Co, MS.
+ 7 vi. Hiram Bates Cole, born 06 Jun 1828 in Richmond Co, NC; died 13 Dec 1910 in Pine Grove Community, Newton Co, MS.
8 vii. Richmond Cole, born Abt. 1830 in North Carolina11.
9 viii. Stephen Cole, born Abt. 1834 in North Carolina11.
10 ix. Martha Cole, born Abt. 1836 in North Carolina11. She married Pleasant Ratliff.
Generation No. 2
2. George2 Cole (Stephen1) was born Abt. 1815 in North Carolina11. He married Mary. She was born Abt. 1821 in North Carolina11.
1850 Richmond Co, NC Census, Rockingham District, p. 287, #535-536, Farmer
Children of George Cole and Mary are:
11 i. Frances3 Cole, born Abt. 1844 in Richmond Co, NC11.
12 ii. Stephen Cole, born Abt. 1845 in Richmond Co, NC11.
13 iii. Picket Cole, born Abt. 1846 in Richmond Co, NC11.
14 iv. Sarah Cole, born Abt. 1847 in Richmond Co, NC11.
15 v. Nancy Cole, born Abt. 1850 in Richmond Co, NC11.
6. Calvin C.2 Cole (Stephen1) was born 01 Sep 1826 in Rockingham, Richmond Co, NC12,13,14,15, and died 08 May 1886 in Prob. Kemper Co, MS16. He married Mary L. Tolbert Bef. 1850 in Prob. North Carolina, daughter of Unknown Talbert and Rachel. She was born Jan 1828 in North Carolina17,18,19,20.
1850 Richmond Co, NC Census, p 292, Rockingham District, #623-624, Farmer
Children of Calvin C. Cole and Mary Tolbert are:
16 i. Martha3 Cole, born Abt. 1850 in Richmond Co, NC20.
17 ii. Mary Cole, born Abt. 1851 in Richmond Co, NC21.
+ 18 iii. John T. Cole, born 19 Apr 1853 in Neshoba Co, MS; died 11 Oct 1928 in Mustang, Canadian Co, OK.
+ 19 iv. James Hill Cole, born 07 Apr 1856 in Mississippi; died 10 Oct 1916 in Neshoba Co, MS.
20 v. Maggie Cole, born Abt. 1858 in Mississippi21.
21 vi. Mollie Cole, born Abt. 1860 in Mississippi21.
22 vii. Frances Cole, born Abt. 1862 in Mississippi21.
23 viii. Lydia C. Cole, born Bet. 1864 - 1865 in Mississippi22,23.
24 ix. William Cole, born Abt. 1869 in Mississippi23.
7. Hiram Bates2 Cole (Stephen1) was born 06 Jun 1828 in Richmond Co, NC24,25,26,27, and died 13 Dec 1910 in Pine Grove Community, Newton Co, MS28,29. He married (1) Mary Francis Hadley 01 Oct 1850 in Richmond Co, NC30,31, daughter of William Hadley and Cuzzy. She was born 11 Nov 1837 in Rockingham District, Richmond Co, NC32,33,34, and died 02 Aug 1865 in Neshoba Co, MS35,36. He married (2) Nancy Elizabeth Galloway, daughter of William R. Galloway and his wife Sarah J. Cleveland, Abt. 1867 in Mississippi. She was born 18 Dec 1848 in Georgia36,37, and died 20 Jul 1923 in Mississippi38.
1870 Neshoba Co, MS Census #1216-1216, Beat 4, p. 371
Children of Hiram Bates Cole and Mary Francis Hadley are:
+ 25 i. John William3 Cole, born 09 Mar 1854 in Mississippi.
+ 26 ii. Martha Jane Cole, born 08 Jul 1857 in Neshoba Co, MS; died 15 Jun 1882.
27 iii. Hampton James Cole, born 10 Jan 1860.
+ 28 iv. Mary Frances Cole, born 23 Dec 1863 in Neshoba Co, MS; died 13 Jan 1949 in Plainview, AR.
29 v. Louis Richmond Cole, born Abt. 1865 in Mississippi39; died 30 Sep 1871 in Mississippi40,41.
Children of Hiram Bates Cole and Nancy Elizabeth Galloway are:
30 i. India V.3 Cole, born 16 Apr 186842,43; died 18 Jan 194843. She married James W. Williamson; born 12 Sep 186443; died 06 Oct 191243.
31 ii. Julia A. Cole, born Abt. 187044. She married Unknown Hunter.
+ 32 iii. Walter Henry Cole, born 28 Dec 1872 in Mississippi; died 24 Oct 1955.
33 iv. Lucy Cornelia Cole, born 10 Sep 1874.
34 v. Clara E. Cole, born 15 Nov 187644,45; died 22 Oct 195445. She married George M. Smith; born 06 Oct 186945; died 16 Feb 195545.
35 vi. Isham Cole, born Nov 188146. He married Bertie O. Williamson.
+ 36 vii. Verna Opal Cole, born 13 Aug 1885; died 24 Aug 1972 in Union, Newton Co, MS.
Generation No. 3
18. John T.3 Cole (Calvin C.2, Stephen1) was born 19 Apr 1853 in Neshoba Co, MS47,48,49, and died 11 Oct 1928 in Mustang, Canadian Co, OK49. He married Sarah C. Galloway, daughter of William R. Galloway and Sarah J. Cleveland. She was born Apr 1856 in Mississippi50,51,51,52, and died 1898 in Oklahoma53.
1880 Kemper Co, MS Census, Moscow, p82D, Supv Dist 2, ED 68, District 3, #136-136
Children of John Cole and Sarah C. Galloway are:
37 i. Cora J.4 Cole, born Abt. 1877 in Kemper Co, MS54. She married (1) Unknown Bradley. She married (2) Unknown Smith.
38 ii. Leona Cole, born Abt. 1879 in Mississippi54. She married Unknown McCoy.
39 iii. Nannie Octave Cole, born 16 Mar 1886 in Claiborne, Johnson Co, TX55. She married Unknown Pierce.
40 iv. Selma G. Cole, born 17 Nov 1887 in Claiborne, Johnson Co, TX55; died 16 Jan 1980 in Los Angeles, CA55.
41 v. John Cole, born Nov 1890 in Oklahoma55; died 191255.
42 vi. Elva Cole, born 29 Mar 1892 in Oklahoma55; died 05 Apr 197155. She married Unknown Kreibel.
43 vii. Charles Cole, born May 1894 in Oklahoma55.
19. James Hill3 Cole (Calvin C.2, Stephen1) was born 07 Apr 1856 in Mississippi56,57,58, and died 10 Oct 1916 in Neshoba Co, MS59. He married (1) Evaline Galloway, daughter of William R. Galloway and his wife Sarah J.Cleveland about 187560. She was born May 1859 in Mississippi61,62,63, and died 24 Sep 1904 in Neshoba Co, MS64; (2) Hattie Comins 1905 in Neshoba Co, MS. She was born about 1885 in Mississippi.
1880 Kemper Co, MS Census, Moscow, p 82d, Supv Dist 2, ED 68, District 3,
Children of James Hill Cole and Evaline Galloway are:
44 i. Calvin C.4 Cole, born 12 Aug 1876 in Kemper Co, MS65,66,67; died 26 May 194668. He married Sallie Driskell Abt. 1897 in Mississippi69; born 13 Feb 1878 in Lauderdale Co, MS69,70; died 09 Jan 195070.
45 ii. Martha J. Cole, born Abt. 1879 in Kemper Co, MS71.
46 iii. Narcie Cole, born Oct 188072.
47 iv. Florence Cole, born 01 Nov 1883 in Mississippi72,73,74; died 02 Jun 1971 in Mississippi75. She married Luke Driskell Abt. 190376; born 05 Oct 1881 in Mississippi77,78; died 14 Sep 1955 in Mississippi79.
48 v. William Cole, born Mar 188580.
49 vi. Stephen Durant Cole, born 17 Sep 1888 in Darnel, MS80,81; died 193682. He married Francis; born 190082; died 197682.
50 vii. Jessie Cole, born Mar 189083.
51 viii. Lillie Cole, born Sep 189283.
52 ix. Nancy Cole, born Jun 189583.
53 x. Earsell Cole, born Oct 189783.
54 xi. Hill Cole, born Oct 189983.
Children of James Hill Cole and Hattie Comins are:
1. Liddie L. Cole, born about 1905 in Neshoba Co, MS
2. Fannie N. Cole, born about 1908 in Neshoba Co, MS
25. John William3 Cole (Hiram Bates2, Stephen1) was born 09 Mar 1854 in Mississippi84. He married Catherine A. Dove 1879 in Neshoba Co, MS85,86. She was born Aug 1855 in Mississippi87,88.
1880 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, p. 10, Supv Dist 2, ED 60 #86-86
Children of John William Cole and Catherine A. Dove are:
55 i. Ola4 Cole, born May 1883.
56 ii. Ada Cole, born Apr 1886.
57 iii. Cola Cole, born Apr 1892.
58 iv. William Cole, born Feb 1894.
59 v. Cora Cole, born Mar 1895.
26. Martha Jane3 Cole (Hiram Bates2, Stephen1) was born 08 Jul 1857 in Neshoba Co, MS, and died 15 Jun 188289. She married John W. Henry, son of Rev. John Newton Henry and Sarah E. Thomas. He was born 04 Mar 1856 in Missisiippi90,91, and died 13 Sep 190991.
1900 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, p. 85, Supv Dist 5, ED 44, Sheet 2A, #21-21
Children of Martha Jane Cole and John W. Henry are:
60 i. John Wesley4 Henry, born 06 May 187692,93; died 07 Mar 196393. He married Jennie Tidwell; born 12 Sep 187293; died 23 Jul 195093.
61 ii. Sarah Frances Henry, born Abt. 187894. She married Mal Chipman.
62 iii. Hiram B. Henry, born Abt. 1882.
28. Mary Frances3 Cole (Hiram Bates2, Stephen1) was born 23 Dec 1863 in Neshoba Co, MS95,96,97, and died 13 Jan 1949 in Plainview, AR98. She married John Perry McNeill 26 Dec 1886 in Neshoba Co, MS98, son of Cornelius McNeill and Permelia Jennings. He was born 26 Mar 1862 in Hickory, Newton Co, MS98,99,100, and died 12 Dec 1930 in Plainview, AR101.
1900 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, Supv District 5, ED 44, Sheet 6, #96-96
Children of Mary Frances Cole and John Perry McNeill are:
63 i. Lela Ann4 McNeill, born 13 Nov 1887 in Newton Co, MS102.
64 ii. Ludie Belle McNeill, born 11 Sep 1889 in Newton Co, MS102; died in Arkansas. She married Unknown McClellan.
65 iii. Euna Ozella McNeill, born 07 Dec 1891 in Newton Co, MS103,104; died 20 Sep 1974 in Searcy, White Co, AR105. She married Sydney Leonard Edwards105 27 Oct 1907 in Union, Newton Co, MS106,107; born 07 Oct 1887 in Lauderdale Co, MS108,109; died 04 Oct 1978 in Searcy, White Co, AR110.
66 iv. Queenie Lavada McNeill, born 16 Nov 1893 in Newton Co, MS111,112,113,114; died 20 May 1961 in Searcy, White Co, AR115,116. She married Richmond Conwell Edwards 18 Aug 1912 in Wattensaw, Prairie Co, AR117,118,119,120; born 10 Feb 1886 in Lauderdale Co, MS121,122,123,124,125,126; died 27 Nov 1959 in Searcy, White Co, AR127,128.
67 v. Clara Virginia McNeill, born 07 Jul 1895 in Newton Co, MS129,130; died 30 Dec 1977 in Arkansas130. She married Charlie W. Jones; born 14 Jul 1891130; died 27 Jan 1986130.
68 vi. William Jennings Bryan McNeill, born 20 Dec 1897 in Newton Co, MS131,132; died 14 Sep 1976 in Arkansas132. He married Johnnie; born 18 Dec 1894132; died 16 Feb 1977132.
69 vii. John S. McNeill, born 19 May 1900 in Newton Co, MS133; died 25 Oct 1966 in Arkansas.
70 viii. Norman L. McNeill, born 03 Jun 1902 in Newton Co, MS; died Abt. 1972 in Arkansas. He married Ora Tippitt.
71 ix. Mary Ina McNeill, born 21 Feb 1904 in Newton Co, MS134; died 25 Oct 1984 in Arkansas134. She married Espie Rogers; born 11 Mar 1903134; died 01 Jun 1985134.
32. Walter Henry3 Cole (Hiram Bates2, Stephen1) was born 28 Dec 1872 in Mississippi135,136, and died 24 Oct 1955136. He married Florence A. Walton Abt. 1903137. She was born 15 Apr 1885 in Mississippi138, and died 15 Apr 1953138.
1910 Neshoba Co, MS Census, Beat 4, p. 200, #68-69
Children of Walter Henry Cole and Florence A. Walton are:
72 i. Beamon H.4 Cole, born 17 May 1904 in Neshoba Co, MS139; died 20 Sep 1961139.
73 ii. Maudie Cole, born 21 Nov 1905 in Neshoba Co, MS140; died 20 May 1906 in Neshoba Co, MS140.
36. Verna Opal3 Cole (Hiram Bates2, Stephen1) was born 13 Aug 1885141,142, and died 24 Aug 1972 in Union, Newton Co, MS142. She married Lee Richardson. He was born 24 Aug 1884142, and died 02 Dec 1986142.
Children of Verna Cole and Lee Richardson are:
74 i. Blake4 Richardson.
75 ii. John Charles Richardson, born 10 May 1923142; died 10 Nov 1984142.
1. 1850 Richmond Co, NC Census.
03/23/2006 07:22:28 PM