One beautiful Saturday this author set out for the Northern Neck of Virginia in search of long hidden family information. The vehicle took me routinely through the Hampton Roads bridge/tunnel and up I-64 into Hampton and Newport News. I exited the expressway on a path towards Yorktown and the Coleman Bridge. Nothing unusual was anticipated, since it was still quite some distance to my planned stop on the Rappahannock River. Initially the exit seemed quite routine. Then I felt a sudden chill go down my back. What was the cause of the eerie feeling that pervaded my entire body? It became time to pay rapt attention to my surroundings. Much to my surprise I almost immediately spotted a sign that said "Chisman Creek". That sign was followed by a street sign that marked "Goodwin Neck Road". My family search trip had placed me directly into the 17th Century ancestral lands of my Chisman & Goodwin family. They were alerting me to the fact that I had arrived. Was it the doomed Diana Chisman, who married into the neighboring Goodwin family and died at the young age of twenty, following the birth of her first child? Her short life has long fascinated me. I am convinced that the chill down my back that day was a result of Diana's having welcomed me home.
Thomas ChismanThomas Chisman qualified as a justice of York Co August 24, 1680. He served as a Burgess for York County in 1685 and was a member of the Charles Parish vestry. He held 1800 acres in York County and 650 acres in Ware Parish, Gloucester County in 1704. Elizabeth Reade, wife of Thomas Chisman, was a daughter of George Reade, one of the Colonial Americans proven to have been of Royal Descent.
Charles Parish History and Registers, York County Virginia, Library of Virginia, Richmond Virginia (3rd Repring 1996) p. 9: "On reading this day in Council the Complaint of Henry Hayward, Senr., John Doswell and other Vestrymen of Charles Parish in York County against Thomas Nutting and others Vestrymen of the said Parish for opposing Mr. Thomas Cheesmans and Mr. Robert Shields voting in the said Vestry at the meeting appointed for advising of the repairing or building a Church. And upon hearing the allegations of both the said partys in Council this Board are of opinion that the present Constitution of the said Vestry is irregular and illegal. And for removing all differences that have or may arise in the said Parish by continuing the said Vestry It is ordered that a new vestry be fairly and legally elected and chosen by the Freeholders and householders of the said Parish...." p. 13: "The petition by Henry Howard, Edward Tabb, and others complained of an "undue and irregular election of a vestry for Charles parish on the 29th of June last past", because "votes of the parishioners were taken at their own houses twelve days before the day of the said Election and two days before publication of the order," and because of "diverse other irregularitys." p. 15: "The Council on February 18, 1708, took the case under consideration, and found "that the said election (of November 2, 1708) was fairly and regularly made according to Law, and the directions of this Board, and that it doth appear by the Return that Eleven of the said Vestrymen were chosen by a great Majority of the Inhabitants and it appearing also that there are two others returned who had an equal number of votes, It is the opinion of the Council that the Sherif amend his return by strikeing out one of them to make the number of the Bestry twelve and the return being amended accordingly. It was ordered that Henry Howard, Thomas Nutting, Thomas chisman, Thomas Roberts, Robert Curtis, Henry Howard junior, Simon Stacy, Edward Tabb, and Anthony Robinson being duly Elected as aforesaid be sworn of a Vestry and that a Dedimus issue for that purpose directed to Robert Read and Wm. Buckner Gent or any one of them to administer to the said Vestryment the Oaths and Test prescribed by Law for qualifying them for the said Offices."
York Co, VA Orders & Wills Book 14,
Col. John Chisman
York Co, VA Deeds, Orders & Wills
Book 16, pp 577-578
Descendants of Edmund Chisman
Generation No. 1
1. Edmund1 Chisman was born Abt. 16021, and died Bef. 23 Nov 1673 in New Poquoson Parish, York Co, VA2. He married Mary Bef. 20 Oct 1646 in Virginia3,4. She died 11 Dec 1678 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA5,6,7.
Children of Edmund Chisman and Mary are:
+ 2 i. Edmund2 Chisman, Major, died Bef. Apr 1678 in Virginia.
+ 3 ii. Jane Chisman.
+ 4 iii. Mary Chisman, died 26 Jan 1687/88.
+ 5 iv. Thomas Chisman, Captain, born Abt. 1651 in Virginia; died Bef. 18 Jul 1715 in York Co, VA.
Generation No. 2
2. Edmund2 Chisman, Major (Edmund1) died Bef. Apr 1678 in Virginia8. He married Lydia. She was born Abt. 16499,10, and died 16 Mar 1694/95 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA11,12.
Child of Edmund Chisman and Lydia is:
6 i. John3 Chisman, born 02 Jun 1669 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA13,14; died 13 Jun 1679 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA15,16.
3. Jane2 Chisman (Edmund1) She married Francis Reade, son of George Reade and Elizabeth Martiau. He died Abt. 169417.
Children of Jane Chisman and Francis Reade are:
7 i. Mary3 Reade. She married Edward Davis18.
8 ii. Elizabeth Reade. She married Paul Watlington Bef. 170719.
4. Mary2 Chisman (Edmund1) died 26 Jan 1687/8821. She married Robert Curtis Bef. Mar 1673/7422.
Children of Mary Chisman and Robert Curtis are:
9 i. Edmund3 Curtis.
10 ii. Thomas Curtis.
11 iii. Sarah Curtis.
12 iv. Jane Curtis.
13 v. Katherine Curtis.
14 vi. Elizabeth Curtis. She married Unknown Evans.
15 vii. Robert Curtis, died Bef. 15 Jan 1687/8823.
5. Thomas2 Chisman, Captain (Edmund1) was born Abt. 1651 in Virginia24, and died Bef. 18 Jul 1715 in York Co, VA24. He married Elizabeth Reade, daughter of George Reade and Elizabeth Martiau. She died 18 Nov 1717 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA24,25.
Children of Thomas Chisman and Elizabeth Reade are:
+ 16 i. Thomas3 Chisman, Capt., died 11 Dec 1722 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA.
17 ii. Mary Chisman, died 22 Jan 1719/20 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA25. She married Edward Athey.
+ 18 iii. Mildred Chisman, born 19 Feb 1675/76 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA.
19 iv. Elizabeth Chisman, born 08 Nov 1681 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA26,27. She married Unknown Lucas28.
+ 20 v. John Chisman, Col., born 04 Mar 1682/83 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA; died 19 Sep 1728 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA.
21 vi. Jane Chisman, born 21 Mar 1686/87 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA28,29,30.
22 vii. George Chisman, born 05 Jan 1688/89 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA31,32,33; died 06 Oct 1710 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA33,34.
23 viii. Sarah Chisman, born 02 May 1690 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA35,36,37.
24 ix. Anne Chisman, born 20 Dec 1692 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA38,39,40.
Generation No. 3
16. Capt. Thomas3 Chisman (Thomas2, Edmund1) died 11 Dec 1722 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA41,42,43. He married Anne44.
Children of Thomas Chisman and Anne are:
+ 25 i. Edmund4 Chisman, died Bef. 18 Aug 1735 in York Co, VA.
+ 26 ii. John Chisman, died Bef. 18 Aug 1755 in York Co, VA.
+ 27 iii. George Chisman, died 15 Mar 1741/42 in York Co, VA.
28 iv. Thomas Chisman, died 07 Apr 1727 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA44,45,46.
29 v. Anne Chisman.
30 vi. Mildred Chisman, died 25 Sep 1748 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA46.
31 vii. Elizabeth Chisman.
18. Mildred3 Chisman (Thomas2, Edmund1) was born 19 Feb 1675/76 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA47,48,49. She married Lawrence Smith, Col. He died 27 Feb 1738/39 in York Co, VA50,51.
Child of Mildred Chisman and Lawrence Smith is:
32 i. Edmund4 Smith, died Bef. 18 Mar 1750/51 in York Co, VA51. He married Agnes Schlater; born 06 May 170752,53.
20. Col. John3 Chisman (Thomas2, Edmund1) was born 04 Mar 1682/83 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA54,55, and died 19 Sep 1728 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA55,56. He married Ellinor Hayward57 22 Dec 1708 in York Co, VA58,59, daughter of Henry Hayward and Dianah Bartlett. She was born 25 Jul 1690 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA60,61, and died 08 Feb 1767 in York Co, VA62.
Children of John Chisman and Ellinor Hayward are:
33 i. Elizabeth4 Chisman, born 15 Dec 1709 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA63,64,65; died 17 Mar 1717/18 in York Co, VA66,67.
+ 34 ii. John Chisman, born 25 Jun 1713 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA; died 04 Sep 1735 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA.
+ 35 iii. Diana Chisman, born 12 Oct 1715 in York Co, VA; died 30 Nov 1735 in York Co, VA.
36 iv. Ellinor Chisman, born 18 Nov 1717 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA68,69,70; died 22 May 176571,72. She married John Sheilds; born 24 Nov 171973,74.
+ 37 v. Henry Chisman, born 03 Sep 1720 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA; died 17 Apr 1770.
38 vi. Mary Chisman, born 04 Nov 1723 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA75,76,77,78; died 12 Mar 178179,80. She married Harwood Jones 02 Oct 174481,82,83; died 09 Feb 177184,85,86.
Generation No. 4
25. Edmund4 Chisman (Thomas3, Thomas2, Edmund1) died Bef. 18 Aug 1735 in York Co, VA87,88. He married Elizabeth Chapman, daughter of John Chapman and Elizabeth. She was born 28 Dec 1709 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA89,90,91, and died Bef. 17 Jun 1782 in York Co, VA92,93.
Children of Edmund Chisman and Elizabeth Chapman are:
39 i. Thomas5 Chisman, died 177094. He married (1) Elizabeth; died 23 Apr 1757 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA95,96. He married (2) Diana Moss.
40 ii. John Chisman97. He married (1) Mary98. He married (2) Elizabeth Cary.
41 iii. Mary Chisman.
42 iv. Anne Chisman.
26. John4 Chisman (Thomas3, Thomas2, Edmund1) died Bef. 18 Aug 1755 in York Co, VA99. He married Mary Phillipson, daughter of Robert Phillipson, Dr. She died 18 Dec 1760 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA.
Children of John Chisman and Mary Phillipson are:
43 i. Katharine5 Chisman, born 03 Jul 1729 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA100.
44 ii. Anna Chisman, born 15 Mar 1729/30 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA101,102.
45 iii. Elizabeth Chisman, born 26 Jul 1737 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA103,104; died 27 Jul 1737 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA105,106.
27. George4 Chisman (Thomas3, Thomas2, Edmund1) died 15 Mar 1741/42 in York Co, VA107. He married Mary.
Child of George Chisman and Mary is:
46 i. Mildred5 Chisman, born 29 Apr 1739 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA108.
34. John4 Chisman (John3, Thomas2, Edmund1) was born 25 Jun 1713 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA109,110, and died 04 Sep 1735 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA111. He married Francis.
Child of John Chisman and Francis is:
47 i. John5 Chisman, Col., died 1781112.
35. Diana4 Chisman (John3, Thomas2, Edmund1) was born 12 Oct 1715 in York Co, VA112,113, and died 30 Nov 1735 in York Co, VA114,115. She married James Goodwin Bef. 1735 in York Co, VA116, son of Peter Goodwin and Rebecca Tiplady. He was born Aug 1704 in York Co, VA, and died 08 Nov 1757 in York Co, VA117,118.
Child of Diana Chisman and James Goodwin is:
48 i. John5 Goodwin, born 15 Nov 1735 in York Co, VA (Hampton Parish)119,120; died 15 May 1783 in Hanover Co, VA121. He married Elizabeth Doswell Abt. 1759122; born 1743 in York Co, VA123,124; died 16 Feb 1814 in Hanover Co, VA125,126.
37. Henry4 Chisman (John3, Thomas2, Edmund1) was born 03 Sep 1720 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA127,128,129, and died 17 Apr 1770130,131. He married Mary132.
Children of Henry Chisman and Mary are:
49 i. John5 Chisman, died 1781132.
50 ii. Mary Chisman, born 05 Feb 1748/49 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA132; died 05 Feb 1749/50 in Charles Parish, York Co, VA133.
1. William & Mary
College Quarterly Historical Papers Vol. 1 No. 2, October 1892 p. 89
03/24/2008 08:49:01 PM