Descendants of Thomas Benson
Generation No. 1
1. Thomas1 Benson was born about 1728 in Maryland, and died February 1795 in Ann Arundel Co, MD1. He married Unknown about 1748. She died before May 1789, probably in Anne Arundel Co, MD.
1776 Ann Arundel Co, MD Census, All Hallows Parish
Children of Thomas Benson and Unknown are:
Generation No. 2
2. Richard2 Benson (Thomas1) was born Abt. 1749 in Anne Arundel Co, MD, and died January 1823 in Anne Arundel Co, MD. He married Elizabeth Cheney.
Children of Richard Benson and Elizabeth Cheney are:
3. Elizabeth2 Benson (Thomas1) was born Abt. 17512. She married Joseph Cheney. He was born 1736, and died 1832.
Children of Elizabeth Benson and Joseph Cheney are:
9. Rachel2 Benson (Thomas1) was born Abt. 1763 in Maryland2, and died Bet. 1801 - 1802 in Greene Co, GA2. She married John Cheney April 11, 1785 in Ann Arundel Co, Maryland2,3, son of Joseph Cheney. He was born August 30, 1765 in Ann Arundel Co, MD4,5, and died October 19, 1838 in Greene Co, GA7,8,10.
1795 Anne Arundel Co, MD Executor of his father-in-law Thomas Benson's will
Children of Rachel Benson and John Cheney are:
10. Nancy Ann2 Benson (Thomas1) was born Abt. 1766 in Anne Arundel Co, MD34, and died 1797 in Anne Arundel Co, MD. She married Richard Warfield Aft. August 16, 1788 in Anne Arundel Co, MD34, son of John Warfield and Mary Cheney.
Children of Nancy Benson and Richard Warfield are:
1. Thomas Benson Will
Thomas Benson Census & Legal Records
Sworn before Jn'o Gassaway
John Cheney "In chancery January 25, 1798 asks to be permitted to deposit in Court the money Thomas Benson left entrusted for his son William Benson, a person returned a lunatic...The said Cheney alledges that he is about to quit the state and wishes to be discharged from the care of said money.....Your petition further represents that from the death of the said Thomas Benson which took place sometime in the month of February in the year 1795 the said William Benson has been chiefly supported by him; he further states...that he is now about to remove from the state of Maryland and that the said William Benson is unwilling to go with him." 1798 - Thomas Benson asked to be approved to handle the money of William Benson. Signed: John Benson, Richard Benson, Elizabeth Chaney, Sary Danielson & Richard Warfield. January 5, 1802 Thomas Benson is to file a bond. January 5, 1803-Bond filed by Thomas Benson & Thomas Moore.
Selected Benson Records from the Maryland State Archives
School Teachers of Early Maryland
Family: Thomas Benson, aged 49, deposed in June 1750, mentioning that his
father was a schoolmaster (SOJU 1757-1760:139).
Biographical files available from
Source: Edward C. Papenfuse, et al., Archives of Maryland, Historical
Entries below refer to members of the General Assembly from 1635 to 1789 whose biographies were published in A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789 (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1979-85)
MARYLAND STATE PAPERS
Benson, George R.
03/20/2006 09:30:05 PM