Trinity Episcopal Church Cemetery
From the historical marker in the church yard: Built in 1762 as the Parish Church of Portsmouth Parish. Established in 1761. Later named Trinity. Enlarged in 1829. Remodeled in 1898. Colonel William Crawford, Founder of Portsmouth in 1752, was a member of the First Vestry. Buried here is James Barron, Commander of the U S Frigate Chesapeake when attacked by the HMS Leopard in 1807. The result was his celebrated duel with Stephen Decatur in 1820. The graves of many Revolutionary Patriots are here.
The cemetery is located in downtown Portsmouth, VA at 500 Court Street. The building stands on the corner of Court Street and High Street. Cemetery photographed August 20, 2005.